NFL: Ravens @ Jaguars
NFL Season is here (well almost!)
This Sunday shows the Baltimore Ravens clash heads with the Jacksonville Jaguars at the famous Wembley Stadium. Check out our 10 facts on the Baltimore Ravens AND Jacksonville Jaguars:
The Baltimore Ravens are a professional American football team based in Baltimore, Maryland. The team plays within the American Football Conference (AFC) in the North Division.
- The Baltimore Ravens’ first game was played on Sunday 1st September 1996.
- The Baltimore Ravens won the Superbowl XXXV against the New York Giants with a sore of 34-7.
- The Baltimore Ravens’ team mascot is named Poe (the raven).
- The Ravens have won two Superbowls but have played in several playoffs…including: 2000, 2001, 2003, 2006 and 2012 seasons.
- The colours of the Ravens’ team are white, metallic gold, purple and black.
- In 2003, Ozzie Newsome was named as the Baltimore Raven’s general manager. He was the first minority general manager in NFL history.
- The Baltimore Raven’s stadium today is the M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Maryland. This stadium holds a capacity of 71,008.
- The name “The Ravens” was chosen after a telephone poll proved overwhelming support for the name.
- The Baltimore Ravens became a successful team in a short amount of time.
- More than 50,000 season tickets were sold in only 14 days when they went up for sale in 1996.
The Jacksonville Jaguars are a professional American football team based in Jacksonville, Florida. The Jaguars compete in the National Football League (NFL) and are a member of the American Football Conference (AFC) South division.
- The original Jaguars logo looked too much like the Jaguar car logo…therefore an agreement was made that Jaguar would be the official automobile of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- The most passing touchdowns ever thrown in one by a quarterback is twenty, Mark Brunell did this twice – once in 1998 and then again in 2000.
- In 2001, Mark Brunell was fired 57 times…no Jaguar quarterback has ever been sacked more than that in one season.
- The Jacksonville Jaguar franchise is now owned by Shahid Khan.
- Tony Boselli Jr. was the Jaguars first draft choice. He was playing for the USC then when he was selected for the jaguars.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars are one of the youngest franchises in NFL.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars haven’t won the Superbowl yet.
- Tom Coughlin was the Jaguars first head coach. He was their coach from 1995 until 2002 and was the team’s coach in the AFC Championship Games.
- The Jaguars’ home ground is the EverBank Field. The stadium holds the capacity of 64,428 but can be expandable to 82,000.
- Maurice Jones-Drew was/is one of the leagues smallest running backs and turned out to be a second round steal for the Jaguars.